Wednesday, May 16, 2012

CD Rom Will Not Show In Xp

The customer complained that the CD rom was not working

In device manager I could see a yellow exclamation on the CD rom drive in device manager.

I tried to uninstall then reinstall the drivers, but I still could not see the CD rom in My Computer.

There was two instances of the floppy disc drive as well.

I suspect someone has accidentally installed the floppy disk driver as a CD rom driver.

Even though I uninstalled and rebooted the Pc, it still seemed to install the wrong driver.

Fix

Click on Start then in the search type Run.
Click on run, type regedit, then ok
Go to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318
I clicked on that folder and deleted everything in that folder.
Closed regedit then rebooted.
Once rebooted the CD rom installed iteself and the CD rom appeared in my computer, and yes there was only one Floppy disk drive after that.

No comments: