Saturday, September 2, 2017

Troubleshooting Network Issues

It allows you to briefly or continuously monitor network issues and collect data over a period of time.

PingPlotter : https://www.pingplotter.com/download

In this example I typed www.google.com.au into the search then clicked start, then changed the interval to 5 minutes and let it run for 10 minutes.

You can see that the below trace shows you the stops along the way, starting from my Router.

My Router 192.168.1.1
Then My Modem 192.168.2.2
then to my ISP then DNS servers, then eventually Google.
So after the first two being my house there were 9 hops / servers before eventually reaching google   (this is quite normal) average round trip was 32.2ms.



In this example I typed www.facebook.com into the search then clicked start, then changed the interval to 5 minutes and let it run for 10 minutes.

You can see that the below trace shows you the stops along the way, starting from my Router.

My Router 192.168.1.1
Then My Modem 192.168.2.2
then to my ISP then DNS servers, then eventually Facebook.
So after the first two being my house there were 9 hops / servers before eventually reaching Facebook.  Average round trip was 29.7ms.



In this example I typed www.anz.com into the search then clicked start, then changed the interval to 5 minutes and let it run for 10 minutes.

You can see that the below trace shows you the stops along the way, starting from my Router.

My Router 192.168.1.1
Then My Modem 192.168.2.2
then to my ISP then DNS servers, then eventually Anz.
So after the first two being my house there were 9 hops / servers before eventually reaching Anz.

As you can see all seemed to be OK until it reached ANZ but Anz.com refused the ping request (100%packet loss)

This is also is common as some sites do not allow you to ping their sites.




You can now export the data collected by clicking on File, then "export sample set" or just save and image.

Great tool for diagnosing your internet or network issues by collecting data that may help your ISP or computer technician to help diagnose network problems.

The free version seemed to do enough for me but you could purchase a Professional version.

The Professional version compare features : https://www.pingplotter.com/products/features.html

Getting started pingplotter :https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=97&v=vTWsRrfJnEY

Doing the trace route through Dos

Windows 7 : Go to Start, Type cmd, right click on cmd.exe, run as administrator, click yes.

From the command prompt type tracert google.com










No comments: