Sunday, April 5, 2015

Yawcam With Latest Java Update

Version Yawcam 0.4.2 + Java update version jre-8u66-windows-x64.exe

Version 8 Update 65 chrome version didn't work

Uninstall old versions of Java (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features)

Go to : http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre8-downloads-2133155.html



I downloaded and installed : jre-8u66-windows-x64.exe for my 64bit Pc 

Yawcam 0.4.2 working again : http://www.yawcam.com/download.php


**********************************************************************************************



version 8u40

When installing chromeinstall-8u40.exe latest version of Java Yawcam fails to start

When you run Yawcam you get this “Opens With” window. (Version Yawcam 0.4.1)
  


Be careful do NOT not Browse for the Javaw.exe file otherwise you will associate all EXE files with Javaw.exe and you will be left with is a PC that will not function.

If you have done this already you will need to login as another user or boot into safe mode and restore the PC to an earlier time.

I updated java on another machine and had the same problem but decided to uninstall all versions reboot the reinstall but again the same error.

I noted that one PC had version 7.75 and Yawcam worked but after a few days windows did an update and Yawcam stopped once again.

To get Yawcam going again I decided to check my Java paths by going to  Control Panel, System,  Advanced system setting, the Environment Variables are correct in Environment Variables.

My path was C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_40\bin;C:\Windows\System32;C:\Windows\System32\wbem

Now C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_40\bin;C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_40;C:\Windows\System32;C:\Windows\System32\wbem

I added the path C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_40 into the environment variable but this still did not help.

Fix 

I copied Java.exe and Javaw.exe into C:\Program Files (x86)\Yawcam


Java helpful information



5 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for the yawcam tip. was pulling my hair out until I found your fix. worked like a charm

doduff said...

Thank You! This fix worked perfectly! I really appreciate tips like this. I really like the simplicity of yawcam and spent way too much time trying to get it to work. I hope the yawcam devs are aware of this and fix it in the next update.

Unknown said...

Brilliant, thanks, worked for me, too.

Unknown said...

Well done! I've been using Yawcam for years, no problem. I just spent hours trying to work out how to get it to start after Java update. Made the file extension mistake and had to go into safe mode and do a system restore, then get my other programs opening again. Then all I found were possible solutions for Yawcam that were too much for me to attempt, until I stumbled across this site. Thanks

Unknown said...

Wow this actually worked - thanks!

There is also a registry fix if you make the .exe association mistake (as I did)...

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/exe-file-association-windows-7-vista/

It also worked perfectly.