Saturday, September 8, 2012

Uninstalling AVG Linkscanner

I had an issue with a program running so I had to uninstall all virus programs so I could figure out why the program would not run correctly, dissabling it would not fix my problem.

So I uninstalled AVG but when I rebooted linkscanner was still present.

I ran avg linkscanner then disabled it, then uninstalled, after a reboot the it will still be active.

My guess is during the uninstallation process I didn't tick the right boxes so it could uninstall linkscanner.

I even downloaded an uninstall program from avg to remove all traces of linkscanner, but this did not work either.

Solution:

Download a fresh copy of AVG 2013

Run

Choose custom install when prompted

Untick all option eg:Avg add on, e-mail protection, identity, additional installed languages and web browsing.

Once rebooted you will find AVG 2013 in the tray, but nothing installed.

Go to control panel, Program and features and unistall AVG, making sure you tick all features to unistall, user settings etc.

Once rebooted all traces will be gone including linkscanner.

Not bad for 2 hrs of wasted time.

I understand I originally didn't unistall all features but you should be able to unistall it at a later date.




No comments: