Sunday, April 10, 2011

Telstra Pre-Paid Mobile Broadband Usb - Telstra Turbo Modem MF626i

I had a customer with a problem with a Telstra Pre-Paid Broadband usb modem working on her windows 7 machine. After a few hours I could not get this to work. I downloaded a zte driver for the device after working out that the model I had was a 626i. The drivers installed fine, but it would still not detect the autorun on the device to initiate the installation of the connection manager. In the device manager under other devices, I had 4 x usb ZTE devices found but would not install as a usb device. The telstra Pre-Paid Broadband usb did pickup as a drive now after the zte drivers were manually installed. Drivers were found : http://www.zte.com.au/telstra/Product_Downloads/MF626_downloads.htm
The connection manager from here didn't install.
The Mother board has 6 usb's at the rear and two on the front, but none worked for this device but all worked with usb sticks. Next I got the motherboard disk and re-installed the motherboard drivers, rebooted but still nothing. Under the device manager the universal serial bus control had the appropriate advanced host controllers installed, so I knew everything should work. Next was to find connection manager. I downloaded a couple of connection managers but still no luck. Rang Telstra help, but the person on the phone could not understand why when we plugged it in, it didn't install automatically.
I eventually used a Xp laptop which worked fine, at least she had Internet for now, but this was not her laptop. Went home. The next day I downloaded : http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond-internet/download/document/bigpond-connection-manager-windows.zip
When extracted you will find this folder : Tucmw32-3.0.514, run setup.exe
But still no go, I decided to uninstall the Zte drivers, then installed the connection manager again, hit repair then reinstalled the ZTE drivers and wham it worked. How or why I do not know, just happy it was all going.
Gigabyte motherboard model :  GA-EP43T-UD3L

No comments: