Saturday, March 26, 2011

Windows 7 Search Too Slow

Windows 7 is great but the search is crap.

It would take sometimes an hour or more to search your whole computer for a file.

I found a freeware answer, "everything" search : http://www.voidtools.com/download.php

When I first ran this it seemed to just sit there nothing was happening.

I entered a word such as pdf  at the top, it seemed to be doing something but I couldn't tell.

All of a sudden all files appeared.

In the next search I was then able to key in any word and it was instant, it must take time to index all files first.

I tried the same search with windows 7 searching for pdf after ten minutes no pdf files, only 12 or so inf files and then I gave up, it did say that non indexed locations would be slow but this was ridiculous.

I then looked to see if there was a way to fix the windows search and disable non-indexed search.

Go to start then control panel the folder options then click on the search tab. I clicked on the restore defaults then ok.

I opened windows explorer clicked on my local drive C then at the top "search libraries" keyed in pdf again, but when the yellow bar at the top came up this time about non index search, i clicked on it and added it to index. All done searches were quick again.

No comments: